Medication Administration in Schools

In order to administer medications to a student during the school day, the school district and/or state regulations requires that the following forms must be on file in your child’s health record before we begin to give any medication or make any accommodation at school.

  1. Signed consent by parent/guardian to give medication
  2. Please complete the consent form included with this letter and give it to the school nurse. There may be several forms. Please call the school nurse if you have any questions.
  3. Signed medication order The written medication order form FROM your child’s primary care provider (your child’s physician, nurse practitioner, etc.) should be completed and returned to the school nurse. This order must be renewed as needed and at the beginning of each school year.
  4. Individual Collaborative Health Plan
    This form provides the necessary information to maintain a safe environment that meets your child’s individual health needs and is a prerequisite if your child will require any additional accommodations beyond medication. If your child does not have any significant health problems, you do not need to complete this form. (Children with asthma should ask their primary care provider or the school nurse about an Asthma Action Plan).

Medications should be delivered to the school in a pharmacy or manufacturer-labeled container by you (parent/guardian) or a responsible adult whom you designate. Please ask your pharmacy to provide separate bottles for school and home. No more than a (30) thirty-day supply of the medication should be delivered to the school.
When your child needs a medication to be given during the school day, please act quickly to follow these policies so we may begin to give the medication as soon as possible.

If the student is old enough to self-administer their own medication, the parent should complete the Medication Self-Administration Form together with the school nurse so the nurse is aware of the child’s condition and medication.

Over-the-Counter Medications:

While the school nurse has standing orders from the medical director to administer Over-the-Counter medications during the school day, parental permission is ALWAYS needed. Parents may fill out the consent forms (English or Spanish) and send in to the school nurse with their child in order to give permission for the school year for the following medications:

  • Acetaminophen
  • Ibuprofen
  • Benadryl
  • Bacitracin (or other OTC antibacterial cream/ointments)
  • Calamine Lotion

For more information, please read the Superintendent Circular on Medication Dispensation