Food Allergies

Are you looking to obtain special meals for your child with special dietary needs?

Parents looking for special dietary accommodations must have an Individual Collaborative Health Plan filled out by the child’s physician. Once completed, please submit the form to the nurse at your child’s school.

Please be sure that your child’s physician fills out the Dietary section of the form, which indicates whether the child has a life threatening allergy, a disabling intolerance, or a non-disabling intolerance to certain foods.

Requests for fluid milk substitute may also be made on this form for a student with a non-disabling medical dietary need, such as milk intolerance, or due to cultural, religious or ethnic beliefs.

Juice and water cannot be substituted for fluid milk as part of the reimbursable meal even when requested by a physician.

Responsibility of Parents

  • Notify the school of any food allergy, disability or special dietary need.
  • Provide an Individual Collaborative Health Plan Form completed by a physician to the school nurse.
  • Participate in any meetings or discussions regarding the student’s meal plan. Maintain a healthy line of communication with the school.
  • Notify the school of any changes relating to the special dietary need (a new Medical Statement is required if the diet changes).

School Food Service Responsibility

  • Provide food substitutions for students according to Medical Statement. The school food service staff may not revise or change a diet prescription or medical order.
  • Provide training to cafeteria personnel on how to properly accommodate students with special dietary needs.
  • Maintain documentation of this training.
  • Communicate with parents, staff, and medical authorities regarding diet modifications.
  • Maintain Medical Statement on each student with a special dietary need. Diet orders are not required to be renewed on a yearly basis, however, confirm, on a yearly basis, the diet order has not changed. If there are any changes to the diet, a new Medical Statement is required.
  • If the school is opting to make a milk substitute available for non-disabling dietary needs, research products to ensure they meet the USDA nutrient standards for a milk substitute. Notify the Division of Food and Nutrition if you are making milk substitutes available for non-disabling special needs.

School Nurse Responsibility

  • Collaborate with food service director, school staff, parents, and physician to appropriately share pertinent information, obtain a copy of Medical Statement, and accommodate students with special dietary needs.
  • Develop medical plan of care as appropriate (Individualized Healthcare Plan).

More Info